Friday 16 August 2013

And so it begins...

What better time to break the ice on my Top 100 challenge than when I am laid up in bed with a cold for days?

And so, in no particular order (other than the fact that it's on loan from a friend) I am beginning with ...

#21 - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick

Here I am, pondering the title question.

I remember being in English class - I think it was year 11 - when all the students from both classes had been called together to announce the next unit of study (I went to a small-ish high school, only about 50 people in my year, so there were only 2 classes).  Our English teachers informed us that for the next few weeks, all the girls would go together in one classroom to study Jane Austin's Emma and the movie Clueless, while all the boys would study the book Brave New World and the movie Blade Runner.  'What kind of BS is this?' I thought to myself.  I put my hand up.  'Do I have to study Emma and Clueless?' I asked.  I could think of nothing more tedious than having to read Jane Austin.  Why did the boys get to study the cool stuff?  'No, you can go with the boys.'  I was pleasantly surprised.  I had expected to be forced into the Emma/Clueless class.  So thankfully they allowed me to spend the next few weeks in the boys' class studying Aldous Huxley and Blade Runner.  I was the only girl - or boy - who asked to switch classes and I still don't regret my decision!

So that's how I came to know the movie Blade Runner, which I hear is based on this book, but differs somewhat.  Although I've not seen the movie for 10 years, from what I remember, I wonder if the title should be 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Unicorns?'  I guess I'm about to find out.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment